Child D!es in Us Custody After Nurse Denies Ambulance Requests

Authorities said Thursday that a nurse practitioner turned down several requests for an ambulance from the mother of an 8-year-old migrant kid who ultimately died in U.S. custody.

A medical emergency occurred while the girl and her family were in the custody of the Border Patrol at the Harlingen Station in Texas last month. The youngster was sent to a nearby hospital, but was pronounced dead there.

After the girl was diagnosed with the flu, the family, who had crossed the border near Brownsville, Texas, in early May, was relocated to the Harlingen Station facility.

The most current report from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) indicates that during their three days in Harlingen, medical staff had nine interactions with the girl and her mother.

CBP reported that the girl’s fever reached 104.9 degrees Fahrenheit while they were treating her with influenza medication.

Contractual medical staff “did not transfer the girl to a hospital for higher-level care,” the agency stated, despite the severity of her health, the concerns of the girl’s mother, and the series of therapies necessary to control the situation.

The tweet below confirms the news:

The 8-year-old girl saw a nurse practitioner four times on May 17 due to a stomachache, nausea, and breathing problems. The mother asked the nurse three or four times to call an ambulance, but she refused each time.

If you’re interested in reading other news, click the following links:

Later that day, the mother brought her daughter back to the health unit, where she was diagnosed with a seizure and taken to the hospital, where she was later pronounced dead at Valley Baptist Medical Center.

Neither the girl’s parents nor any Harlingen staff members were aware that she had sickle cell anemia or a history of congenital cardiac illness, CBP reports. Medical staff neglected to consult with physicians on call and failed to document multiple encounters and interventions, according to the FDA.

“They killed my daughter, because she was nearly a day and a half without being able to breathe,” the girl’s mother, Mabel Alvarez Benedicks, told The Associated Press last month. “She cried and begged for her life and they ignored her. They didn’t do anything for her.”

As we receive any additional information regarding this news, we will notify you. In the interim, you can read the most recent news updates relating to other topics by following our Twitter account.

About The Author

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top